[linux-audio-dev] Using more than 4 sound apps at once in x11, Kde, Gnome...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Using more than 4 sound apps at once in x11, Kde, Gnome...
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 06:33:15 EEST

Hi.

I did a brief trawl through the archives but couldn't find any threads
on this subject.

I can't play sound with more than 4 instances of apps like xmms,
alsaplayer sweep at the same time.

Can anyone get more than that and if so how do you do it?

It is not alsa because I can start a very large number of aplay in
terminals limited only by screen space and cpu/ram I'm assuming. So I
wonder if it is to do with x11. I'm still using the 3.x series so I
don't know if this has been fixed in the 4.x series.

I would like to be able to start up many versions of alsaplayer as I
have just implemented looping for it and it has really good realtime
response. ie no dropouts when starting/stopping songs/samples. If I
could do so then I would be able to use my notebook to mix mp3's, cds
and .wavs etc live at my sets and also set up complex layers of samples
which I can fade in/out, adjust speed...

All of this using ALSA natively instead of the oss emulation which most
of the dj apps(of which I can get working or don't mind staring at the
Gui for long periods of time) seem to require. I haven't tried sprial
loops yet because that requires kde 2.x which I also don't have. Not
only that but I don't think it supports ALSA natively and I don't get
the best sound from many apps that need the oss emulation.

Kiaora.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Manager Boost Hardware.
Importing Korean Computer Hardware to New Zealand.

http://www.boosthardware.com for latest stock and prices.