RE: [linux-audio-dev] silent for a while

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] silent for a while
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 23:22:52 EEST

Ah, what a beautifully peaceful week ;-)

I had a chance to catch up with the state of LAAGA over the past week or so.
Nice clear bit of code.

However I'm now a bit puzzled what LAAGA attempts to achieve - as far as I
can see, any LAAGA application has to hand over its control logic to the AES
engine? Possibly I've missed where the `interface point' is in the code, but
this seems somewhat over-prescriptive.

What software would use this API? What changes would have to be made to
Csound to allow a MIDI sequencer to drive it while feeding audio into
Ardour? How would the link be set up? This, to me, is the kind of basic
challenge that an `application glue' framework needs to meet. As we
discussed when we met up, isn't an ALSA-like API better suited to this? How
would aRts do it?

I've had quite a few thoughts about this over the past week and hopefully
will find the time to pull them together into a consistent email over the
next week or two. I do think we're better off abstracting away from
OSS/ALSA/aRts or suchlike but I'm not sure we're doing it the right way.

My instinct is that the existing framework deals with two issues - how to
handle audio/data exchange and how to specify network topology. These seem
to be orthogonal concepts to me and better separated. To deal with the two
parts, I think the audio/data exchange part needs a lot of work, but I'm
reasonably happy with the topology API - it's not dissimilar to the API that
MN presents to client applications (Paul, the MNServer baseclass I think I
showed you briefly) and I know that works :-)

All good progress...

--Richard