Re: Fwd: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 19:40:18 EET

 [ RMS instead of peak ]

>True, but is it actually much slower? Its only
>
>while (foo) {
> sumsq += val * val;
>}
>rms = sqrt(sumsq / length);
>
>Isn't it? There's no conditionals, so its pipeline friendly.

true. and it has me thinking that computing the RMS value for the
window would actually be a lot nicer in many ways than using peak
values. the only problem i can see is that the peak values preserve DC
offsets, whereas a single RMS value does not, and this could be a
problem. but given that any sampled audio sound is really being stored
as a series of amplitudes, it somehow seems more fitting to actually
use something more like RMS than peak data ...

any comments ?

--p