Re: Fwd: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's
From: Robert Schrem (Robert.Schrem_AT_WiredMinds.de)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 19:19:54 EET

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 19:57, Paul Davis wrote:
> >At least I never felt any neccesarity for two seperate peak meters
> >showing the positive and negative peak values of the same signal
> >seperatly. Maybe you can you convince me, why I would need this an
> >for what purpose.
>
> i think thats because your peak meters are almost certainly computing
> RMS levels, even if they say "peak meter".

It depends. The Yamaha 02/R digital mixer, Alesis ADAT recorders,
usual DAT recorders and the DR-8 HardDisk recorder display
like most digital equipment 'digital' peak data on the peak
meters, that's for sure (I'm using these things for years now).

But allmost all analog Devices use other algorithms. RMS is the
method used for measuring AC voltages and currents in those
Hand-Held Multimeters. The idea of RMS is the measure the 'energy'
that a AC signals transmits. (This is different from calculating
the average voltage: The average voltage of an sine is zero!)

If you are further interested, I could look up some references...