Re: Fwd: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 20:50:11 EET

Well I cannot see how RMS would be helpful for audio, I use the peak
meters to determine how much of my dynamic range I am using, and if I am
getting any clipping. I don't really care when I am recording about the
Energy. I think the only thing that I also do is look at a time based
frequency (fft) view so I can see how much of the spectrum I have
overlapping sounds and stuff.

Rick

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Robert Schrem wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 February 2001 19:57, Paul Davis wrote:
> > >At least I never felt any neccesarity for two seperate peak meters
> > >showing the positive and negative peak values of the same signal
> > >seperatly. Maybe you can you convince me, why I would need this an
> > >for what purpose.
> >
> > i think thats because your peak meters are almost certainly computing
> > RMS levels, even if they say "peak meter".
>
> It depends. The Yamaha 02/R digital mixer, Alesis ADAT recorders,
> usual DAT recorders and the DR-8 HardDisk recorder display
> like most digital equipment 'digital' peak data on the peak
> meters, that's for sure (I'm using these things for years now).
>
> But allmost all analog Devices use other algorithms. RMS is the
> method used for measuring AC voltages and currents in those
> Hand-Held Multimeters. The idea of RMS is the measure the 'energy'
> that a AC signals transmits. (This is different from calculating
> the average voltage: The average voltage of an sine is zero!)
>
> If you are further interested, I could look up some references...
>
> > in theory, this would actually be a good thing for a peakfile, but its
> > a lot, lot more computationally expensive than min/max determination.
> >
> > --p

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |
| Senior Design Engineer +---+ +----+ |