[linux-audio-dev] Linux + Console + Samples -> /dev/null

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Linux + Console + Samples -> /dev/null
From: Ron Poulton (lad_AT_thok.net)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 11:04:47 EET

I'm in need of only a couple audio development tools:

- a sequencer (not MIDI) to lay down tracks, beats, and so forth.
- a mixer (to mix various streams, specifically MP3 and WAV)

Added bonuses would be WAV editors.

The catch is that my computer doesn't want me to use a mouse. Or not easily.
(Linux is all set up - it's the motherboard, and I'm too cheap for a new one.)

Any suggestions as to software I can use? The WAV editor isn't a high
priority - I have command line software to edit them, which is just fine.

As far as mixers go, I've installed and am frustrated with ecasound. It looks
to be what I need to mixing streams. Has anyone worked with it? When
specifying chains on the command line, the sucker just sits and does nothing.
("ecasound -i test.wav -o /dev/dsp" works;
 "ecasound -a:1 -i test.wav -a:1 -o /dev/dsp" doesn't work.)

Thoughts? I'm still scanning the list archives for hints.