Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin idea

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin idea
From: Nick Bailey (njbailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 11:45:39 EET

Paul Winkler wrote:

> Recently on rec.audio.pro I found this, in a post by someone named
> ls1productions_AT_aol.com (LS1productions):
> > Someone has to make a fucking plugin that you can throw on the
> > last slot

Yer wot? <spits out coffee> Nobody will die if they don't!

> > of all you drum track inserts which will automatically compensate by
> > the
> > samples to the most delayed track.
>
> I'm intrigued by this idea, though I don't know how or if it could be
> done in LADSPA. But basically it would be a delay that somehow
> calibrates itself so that a peak in one channel occurs at the same
> time as a peak in another channel. Hmmm...

You need a so-called foot-tapping algorithm.

Neural networks are supposed to be good at this (I don't know whether
they are fucking good). There must be something on the web. If not,
there'll be loads of stuff in the Computer Music Journal.

Are you /sure/ you want the drums sync'd to /everything/ that tightly?
Wasn't it Mozart who encouraged a rubato independent of the left hand in
his piano sonatas? Different genre, I guess. Anyway, almost certainly,
a NN approach wouldn't quite work and you'd get the effect you desired
anyway 8-)

Nick/