Re: [linux-audio-dev] License Concerns about ladspa.h and GPL programs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] License Concerns about ladspa.h and GPL programs
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 13:54:43 EET

>However, an API isn't really code, but a specification, and the one
>thing you don't want is people changing it ad lib! So is a license even
>appropriate in this case? The API can be freely available, but
>unauthorized changes must be prevented. You can reseve copyright in the
>API specification document, and disallow all changes to that. GPL and

The problem is that we need to allow for distribution of the header
file. Steinberg disallows this for VST, requiring that *everybody* who
wants the VST SDK must get it from Steinberg. I don't see how to add
copyright *and* the ability to freely copy and redistribute a header
file without getting into the kinds of issues that the licenses cover.

--p