Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midiator MS-124W

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midiator MS-124W
From: D. Marcus Johnson (schwaahed_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 20:27:43 EET

--- douglas irving repetto
<douglas_AT_music.columbia.edu> wrote:
> "D. Marcus Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Douglas,
> >
> > I tried using it with csound elara and PD and
> nothing
> > Happens. I've tried getting the signal from
> /dev/ttyS0
> > and /dev/midi. The silkscreen on the top of the
> box
> > and on the invoice say "MS-124" but the sticker on
> the
> > bottom,the manual say "MS-124W". The salesperson
> from
> > Midiator, even said that someone else From NYC had
> > bought one to use with linux Wednesday Feb
> 28,2001.
> > They also definitely charged me the 159.99 which
> is
> > the price for the ms-124w the others are less
> > expensive. I am probably missing something simple.
> >
> > Any suggetions for a simple test to see if this is
> the
> > actul MS-124W and or if the drivers are loaded and
> > working would be greatly appreciated. I will
> check
> > out other things with my system but everything
> seems
> > fine except this.
> >
> > -Thanks
> > Darwin
>

> hi darwin,
>
> if it says 124w on the back then you're okay. the
> other nyc purchaser
> was one of my students!
>
> you didn't answer; are you using this driver:
>
> ftp://presto.music.virginia.edu/pub/midiator
>

> there are docs with it that tell you how to set up
> the driver and how to
> run simple tests with it. please let me know if
> you've already tried
> them, then we can work on figuring out what's wrong.
> i think if you use
> the above driver it will just work.
>
> douglas
>

> --
> douglas irving repetto
> http://music.columbia.edu/~douglas
>
> http://shoko.calarts.edu/musicdsp

http://music.columbia.edu/cmc/dorkbotnyc

Yes it is the midiator-0.3 driver. When I try:

#./read_midi

MIDI reader . Version 0.3
No OSS midi device detected
No $MIDI_DEV set, trying /dev/ttyS0
MIDI device opened: /dev/ttyS0
Initializing MS-124w
ioctl to get tty info failed: Input/output error
can't open MIDI port

Any clues where I might be messing up?

for my system the path to setserial is in /bin not
sbin
I have since changed this could it be some other kind
of small thing like this?

Thanks
-Darwin