Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 15:13:56 EET

>Storing multiple frames for knobs etc. is best done as a strip or grid

Why?

>(Multibit) alpha is important
[ ... ]
>Doesn't alpha blending really sting X servers, even with Xrender? I

I have had this idea of writing our own routines for alpha pixmaps.
The final alphaless pixmap is then rendered from alpha pixmap composition.

I have now better idea how to implement it. Last time I thought we
should write a second copy of GTK's window layout code, or should
incorporate the alpha pixmaps to GTK. The third way to do it would be
to find out the GTK window positions in the pixmap changing callbacks
and have the alpha pixmap routines separate from GTK. Simple?

>Using a 3d rendered model to get the basic shape is good, then touch up with
>photoshop.

I have used my own simple renderer so far but if anyone has a real 3D
renderer/modeler and some design skills, I would not mind if a common
LAD GUI design is made: buttons, knobs, panels, LEDs, displays, etc.

Note: the images should be large (512x512?) and the final pixmaps
would be resized in the application whenever user wants to resize
GUI elements. Besides having suitable sized GUI elements, it would be
advance to be possible to make often used GUI elements larger.

Regards,

Juhana