[linux-audio-dev] Q: which midi code to use for track reference in midi sequencers(specifically jazz++)?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Q: which midi code to use for track reference in midi sequencers(specifically jazz++)?
From: Joakim Verona (joakim_AT_verona.se)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 11:44:59 EET

hello,

im implementing a feature in the jazz++ sequencer for linux.
its a feature where you have a new midi event type that can reference
other midi tracks in the song.

when the event occurs, the referenced track is played and looped for the
duration of the event, optionally transposed by an amount.

this feature was in a sequencer i liked on the amiga, music-x.

my implementation works in fact nicely, but im concerned with picking
the right midi data to
implement the feature. the midi standard defines an extension for
proprietary events, and i can use that,
and just invent something.

but since i read in some midi specs that the midi endoftrack event can
be used to define loop poins
for tracks, there should already be some standard available perhaps.
it would be nice if my implementation would be compatible with some
existing standard if there is one.

so my question is; which midi event to use for track reference,
transposition and looping.
my implementation already onors the endoftrack event.

--
Joakim Verona

www.verona.se joakim_AT_verona.se