[linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 11:18:38 EET

Thomas Merkle, who co-designed the GUI for Reason posted some interesting
comments about plugin GUI design on the music-dsp mailing list recently,
subject: Introducing myself.

I don't want to cross post it because the discussion is very fragmented,
but the gist is:

Storing multiple frames for knobs etc. is best done as a strip or grid

(Multibit) alpha is important

Using a 3d rendered model to get the basic shape is good, then touch up with
photoshop.

--

I've probably missed some points, but that was what I picked up on. I asked him what he though of using XML to represent the layout, and he though it wasa good idea, but he expected we would compile into something more effient before distributing. Not sure that is a good idea myself.

Turning individual bitmaps into a strip can be easily done with imagemagick, will it have any negative effects?

Doesn't alpha blending really sting X servers, even with Xrender? I presume that its faster on windows. OTOH using the SSE extensions you can do it really quickly on intel chips, and these are easy to get to from gcc.

3D rendering is kinda obvious really. A guy at work is a bit of a wizz with blender, so I might ask him for a quick lesson, or at least borrow the manual.

Interesting, Steve