Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs
From: Paul Sladen (paul_AT_sladen.org)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 20:02:15 EEST

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 05:38:36PM +0200, David Olofson wrote:
> > Right, the scaling doesn't need to happen in real time, but this is
> > probably heavy enough that loading the average plugin GUI will take
> > several seconds on a Pentium class machine. A 2D vector format with
> > texturing support might be more efficient - but also a lot more
> > complicated.
>
> I think its reasonable to do the scaling at distributiuon time, its not
> liek the user needs or wants 500x500 images of gui objects (not this year
> anyway ;)

If this is the case, it would save on the binar distribution size if we
*embedded* `POVRay' and `Script-Fu' into the LADSPA-GUI library, and then
we could run-time render the button from the `.pov' distribtion.

No, No, we could go one better than that, and do Real-Time rendering of
the POTS and knobs. (no aliasing/approximation artifacts =-)!!

-*-

Give that the people who are going to scale them 10x are the ones with the
19" monitors that sit two-and-a-half foot away, then I don't think that
scaling matters.

Paul

--
e: paul_AT_sladen.org   t: 0115 922 7162