Re: [linux-audio-dev] S/PDIF on portables

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] S/PDIF on portables
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 05:11:02 EEST

>You could probably find a pc card that has S/PDIF, but most likely won't
>have linux drivers.
>http://www.rme-audio.com/english/index.htm
>http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/digifa.htm
>Hammerfall makes such a creature. Includes dongle to rackbox I/O
>Its as much as a new laptop, tho.

the hammerfall dsp pcmcia card doesn't exist yet. when it does, rme
will tell me how to write the driver for it for ALSA (they say, anyway).

in the meantime, you might look at the VXpocket, but i'm not sure if
it has s/pdif. on the other hand, you're out of luck on linux drivers
there too.

the basic message: you can't do it with linux. and you can't do it
under any other OS without spending between $500 and $1000 on a pcmcia
card.

ps. i don't suppose that "ms. massalin" is related to henry "not one
instruction too many" massalin, by any chance ?

Paul Davis <pbd_AT_op.net> Bala Cynwyd, PA, USA
Linux Audio Systems 610-667-4807
hybrid rather than pure; compromising rather than clean;
distorted rather than straightforward; ambiguous rather than
articulated; both-and rather than either-or; the difficult
unity of inclusion rather than the easy unity of exclusion. Robert Venturi