Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 20:19:34 EEST

On Sunday 25 March 2001 18:23, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 05:38:36PM +0200, David Olofson wrote:
> > Right, the scaling doesn't need to happen in real time, but this
> > is probably heavy enough that loading the average plugin GUI will
> > take several seconds on a Pentium class machine. A 2D vector
> > format with texturing support might be more efficient - but also
> > a lot more complicated.
>
> I think its reasonable to do the scaling at distributiuon time, its
> not liek the user needs or wants 500x500 images of gui objects (not
> this year anyway ;)

But I'm looking at a 1920x1440 screen right now... ;-) Ok; 500x500 is
still a *very* big control!

Seriously, fixed size controls *are* problematic already. I've been
using 1600x1200+ resolutions for years. The other day, I got a
question about XFree86 configuration from some guy who wants to use
800x600... *hehe*

Of course, very large monitors should be used for high resolutions,
but fitting more on the screen is not the main reason for using high
resolutions. Antialiazing blurs the fonts, and I don't like that; it
just causes unnecessary eye strain. (Likewise with unsharp monitors,
but that's a matter of how much you value your eyes...) The
alternative to antialiazed fonts (or the "trick" required to keep the
AA from blurring the fonts significantly) is to use high resolutions
and bigger (in pixels) fonts. The disadvantage is that fixed size
graphics becomes much smaller physically...

Anyway, I think pre-rendering at two or three standard sizes should
do. However, I don't see how we could possible get GUI designers to
always provide more than one size. It's enough work as it is to do
*one* size.

Any ideas?

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'