Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 12:50:44 EEST

>From: David Olofson <david_AT_gardena.net>
>> I think its reasonable to do the scaling at distributiuon time, its
>> not liek the user needs or wants 500x500 images of gui objects (not
>> this year anyway ;)

Scaling at the distribution time is the one what is done now; it is not
enough. Scaling at installation time would be okay. Most flexible case
would allow resizing as a part of the GUI features (just like the resizing
of windows) -- like one would be able to zoom a window (and its content).

Even 256x256 could be too large for distribution, but certainly there
should have the original images or rendering scripts available somewhere
so that modifications can be done later. For example, DAP icons are so
tiny that they cannot be processed further (for example, addition of
extra 3D depth and shadows to them). If we are going to use POV and
GIMP, both POV and GIMP scripts should be saved. Is it possible to record
the interactive GIMP manipulations to a file? If not, then scripts
should be used.

Rescaling of a text pixmap is not a trivial rescaling. Plain rescaling
(to smaller image) just blurs the text and makes it unreadable. There are
at least three solutions: (i) unsharp mask, (ii) widening of the ink
before scaling, (iii) greyscale curve bending after rescaling. Unsharp
mask doesn't work that good, though.

I have an example of plain rescaling vs. widened ink rescaling here:
  http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/textrescaling.html

Truelly the font style should be slightly different for different sizes,
but perhaps we don't have to go that far. Widening should be enough for
all sizes.

>However, I don't see how we could possible get GUI designers to
>always provide more than one size. It's enough work as it is to do
>*one* size.

The whole process of creating the pixmaps should be recorded so that
they can be recreated easily with any modifications.

Regards,

Juhana