Re: [linux-audio-dev] What's OSC?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What's OSC?
From: Stefan Kersten (steve_AT_k-hornz.de)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 23:02:30 EEST

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> >From: Stefan Kersten <steve_AT_k-hornz.de>
> >
> >OSC (http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/) is a
> >'transport layer independent'¹ protocol for transmission of high
> >resolution control data.
>
> Can I send pixmaps (or any data) over it? Can "string" data format used
> for any 8-bit data?

Yep. The interpretation of a message's data is completely up to
the receiver (as long as type signatures remain unimplemented,
that is), although both parties naturally should agree on an
argument format in order to yield valid results. Ah yes, if using
UDP you propably don't want to send more than 4096 bytes per
packet ...

<sk>