Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 16:08:46 EEST

Hi Steve, [[no, still no 12/12 news... :-(]]
On Fri, Mar 30, 2001, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 01:31:10PM +0100, Iain Sandoe wrote:
>> That depends on your view as to where "UI-specific" code belongs. That is,
>> the algorithm implemented by the plug-in may make use of a parameterisation
>> that is "counter intuitive" to users - but efficient for run-time.
>>
>> You might want the GUI to translate between this and something that users
>> can deal with.
>
> LADSPA is primarily controlled by its ports, so you would expect the port to
> reflect parameters useful to humans.

hmmm. to me the first part doesn't necessarily imply the second.

> Of course people have different preferences for complexity, so you could
> had "dumbed down" UI's that abstracted some things, eg. compressors that
> hide attack/decay time.

exactly - the GUI could express things in terms of "warmth" or some other
such 'musician-friendly' approach.

However, it seems (in the do-one-thing-well ethic) that conversion to
mathematical/engineering parameters (equivalent of the 'warmth' in this
example) is only of relevance in the GUI

- or would you expect 'warmth' to be a required input to the plug?

(presumably, to allow some lower-level non-GUI control).

I wonder if there is not a difficulty in trying to "be all things to all
men"?

Iain.