Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 02:11:04 EEST

>I think a basic scheme of operation could be:
>
>A given host would, upon plugin instantiation, dynamically extend
>its OSC address space as suggested above by Paul, maybe including
>the case of 1..N plugin instances (?) (which could be controlled
>by a single GUI or by several ones):
>
>/plugins/<host-ID>/<plugin-ID>/<plugin-instance-ID>/control/port/<port-ID>/val
>ue

my conception was that the host, which will have to look up the plugin
instance in order to "execute" the message, would provide the
plugin-ID to the plugin (and thus in turn the GUI). this would "fold"
the "plugin-ID" and the "plugin-instance-ID" into a single
name. problems ?

also, why the /plugins prefix ? my understanding is that OSC is tree
structured - you want the top level address to refer to the intended
recipient of the message, which is presumable <host-ID>.

>The messages represent the communication 'nodes' that actually
>take the parameter values and send them to the plugin (via normal
>float writes in a callback). Additionally the plugin GUI process
>would have to provide an address space known to the host in order
>to be able to update its interface whenever the host changes a
>parameter (I guess that's possible in LDSPA?):

this is a good point. however, the OSC id you gave doesn't suggest to
me how to do that ...

>/plugins/<host-ID>/<plugin-ID>/<plugin-instance-ID>/control/port/<port-ID>/val
>ue

> HOST -----------> PLUGIN
> | ^
> v |