Re: [linux-audio-dev] custom GUIs & XML GUIs ...Was: ladspa GUI round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] custom GUIs & XML GUIs ...Was: ladspa GUI round 2
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 20:11:08 EEST

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 11:08:31AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> >what if all these plugin GUIs start sending(receiving) tons of events to/from
> >host.
>
> how would they do that ? they're driven by the mouse/keyboard.

And the hosts automation features I would hope, though if it really is
getting noticable, just close the window!

> >I think most plugins would be perfectly happy the XML GUIs, (standard
> >faders,knobs,etc) and only the special ones would need a custom GUI
> >written in a native toolkit.
>
> i suspect that most plugins will be happy with the one built
> automatically by the host without XML. those that wanted to use XML
> will probably really want to do their own thing entirely, if it were
> possible.

That is certainly my feeling. I have prototyped a simple GUI program that
draws a single knob and allows it to be moved in various ways (in SDL). It
was pretty easy, though I haven't added OSC in/out to it yet.

I will release it sometime early next week, when I have OSC support in it
and my work machine has new hardware (its very ill at the moment).

- Steve