Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 00:14:39 EEST

On Wednesday 28 March 2001 16:13, Steve Harris wrote:
[...]
> Is there anything to prevent the plugin from spawning a second
> process which has its own connection to the server, but is linked
> to the process via some sort of IPC? I'm guessing this would be
> frowned on though ;)

Well, it doesn't exactly make the code portable on the binary
level... *hehe*

IMHO, pure DSP plugins should load and run on any machine with the
right CPU, regardless of operating system, provided someone writes
the required object file loaders. (That's actually theoretically
possible no matter what the plugin does, but it's *slightly* harder
to emulate an entire OS than to just provide what's required by
plugins according to the LADSPA API spec. ;-)

> Lastly, LADSPA plugins creating thier own GUIs kind of puts a stop
> to host automation (I think), if the plugin receives the UI events
> directly then the host knows nothing about it, and I can't think of
> a transparent way of the plugin communicating the parameter changes
> to the host.

That's why GUI plugins and DSP plugins should be two different,
separate things, connected through the host. :-)

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'