Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 16:17:51 EEST

>I would think this is quite possible, there are nodubt GUIs that rely on
>a LOT of parameters that would be very hard to realize if confronted
>with the parameters itself (that is one of the reasons of having a GUI !)

i think you're getting confused. yes, a plugin may have a lot of
parameters, but as steve just noted (though i'm paraphrasing), either
they all matter and are thus presented as control ports, or they are
internal to the plugin and only a few show up as control ports. in
either case, the GUI might or might not show all the control
ports. its up to the author.

>I think the correct way when instantiating the GUI would be to ASK it
>(the GUI) whether it supports the given plugin (by sending it it's ID),
>if it doesn't, ask the next GUI.

this has nothing to do with the scheme currently proposed. the whole
point here is to allow people who want to create truly custom GUI's
for their plugins to do so. there is no such thing as "a GUI
supporting multiple plugins" in this scheme.

>Would be nice if it was possible to make a multi-gui which can support a
>whole bunch of plugins. Both a way to give a common interface to a lot
>of plugins and to make it easy to write multiple GUIs to a plugin.

in many ways, this is what we used to be discussing the the XML
specification. there's no way around the fact that for many plugins,
only working in source code at the toolkit level is adequate to get
the GUI to work "right". that means a specialized GUI per plugin.

however, in the discussion to date, i have noted that we still want
hosts to provide a default GUI in the event that the user wants one
and the plugin doesn't provide anything. many (most?) plugins would
fall into this category.

>Not everybody wants the GUI with 2000 knobs, some want the 3 knobs and
>one switch solution.

its up to an AUTHOR what his GUI shows. if you don't like it, you can
either make suggestions to the author, or you can write your own GUI
(and because we're talking about using OSC, there's no reason why you
can't have more than one GUI controlling the same plugin at the same
time, BTW).

--p