Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 23:23:16 EEST

On Sunday 25 March 2001 19:25, Paul Davis wrote:
[...]
> hence the proposal to use XML with the LADSPA-GUI DTD. this leaves
> the backends (which convert XML into real, native widgets):
>
> 1) simple (no generalized glade-like handling)
> 2) toolkit-neutral (though any particular backend obviously
> is bound to a particular toolkit)

The only problem is that it's hard to keep a GUI toolkit simple, and
still keep people from bypassing it all the time, effectively
breaking toolkit independence and portability...

The only realistic way to build something that's usable for *any*
kind of user interface is to provide some API with input events and a
reasonable set of drawing primitives, preferably together with
something like LADSPA-GUI XML code.

That's what I intend to try with MAIA. Think of a GUI as an XML
document with embedded "canvas" applets with user input features,
being remote controlled from the GUI plugin using a standard protocol.

That would effectively make it possible to put the GUI code inside
the DSP plugins without breaking the hard RT programming rules, or
portability, although it's probably still a bad idea to do so.

Any idea what kind of drawing primitives such an interface should
have? A list of primitives would be nice... I intend to implement it
rather soon (probably on top of SDL and some 2D rendering lib), as it
would be a very handy debugging tool, as well as a fun hack. :-)

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'