Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 20:25:46 EEST

>What about standardising on GTK+ for the GUI layout -- Even going to the
>point of just loading in `glade-xml' definitions of the interfaces. So
>you say: "won't this bind us to a particular widget set?". I say this,
>considering that most appear (I think!) are building/standardising around
>GTK.
>
>As has been shown with the GIMP; it's had really worth writing a Widget
>Abstraction layer on top of another Widget Abstraction layout; port the
>Widget set instead!!.
>
>When (IF?) you support LADSPA-GUI on other platforms; then the Widget set
>is probably already ported; or; how much trouble would it be to write an
>import filter to translate the glade-xml definition on loading?

glade-xml is not much good, because the widgets most plugins want
don't exist in standard GTK+. that means you have to do a bunch of
work to add new widgets to glade's view of the world.

hence the proposal to use XML with the LADSPA-GUI DTD. this leaves the
backends (which convert XML into real, native widgets):

         1) simple (no generalized glade-like handling)
         2) toolkit-neutral (though any particular backend obviously
              is bound to a particular toolkit)

--p