Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 21:20:32 EEST

On Thursday 29 March 2001 02:13, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I'm thinking along the lines of something that's more code and
> > less XML; a separate GUI plugin that implements a DSP plugin's
> > custom widgets on top of a simple canvas style API.
> >
> > High level rendering API:
> > * Blit images (files specified in the XML)
> > * ???
> >
> > Mid level:
> > * Lines
> > * Filled rectangles
> > * Filled polygons
> > * ???
> >
> > Low level:
> > * Pixel access via RGBA buffer (auto conversion)
> >
> > "Direct" rendering:
> > * Fast pixel access using screen format
>
> with all due respect, and i wish i could think of some other way to
> say it, i think this is bullshit.

Maybe, but people are using various APIs of that kind for multimedia
GUIs anyway... I can't think of any higher level approach that people
won't just bypass all the time.

> you're talking about reimplementing everything that Motif, Xt,
> GTK+, Qt, FLTK, XForms and many others have done.

No. I'm talking about wrapping low level rendering APIs, such as the
X protocol, fbdev direct rendering, Win32 GDI, SDL + various graphics
primitive libs, the lower levels of GDK etc etc.

> this is just absurd.

Well, that might still be true, of course. :-)

> if you want to do something like this, then reimplement libvstgui,
> which seems to be pretty adequate for the win/mac VST plugin
> crowd.

If it's "pretty adequate", why is it bypassed in favor of rendering
directly using the underlying rendering API...?

I'm not talking about implementing a GUI toolkit (because *that's* a
total waste of time, if anything, it seems, at least when it comes to
plugin GUIs), but rather something truly portable to use for custom
rendering GUIs and *possibly* some existing toolkits, like GTK+ and
Qt.

> but please, lets move forward along the time arrow of
> software development, not back or sideways by reimplementing stuff
> thats been implemented dozens of times already.

Yeah, right; perhaps I should implement the X protocol on top of SDL
instead - or just make sure to stay away from closed source plugins
that won't run without X.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'