Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 18:48:03 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

>> I'm not sure what routing you images, but I would like to see:
>>
>> ---------- ----------
>> | | | |
>> | Host |--->| Plugin |
>> | | | |
>> ---------- ----------
>> ^ ^
>> | |
>> | |
>> ---------- |
>> | GUI |<-------/
>> ----------
>>
>> Obviously the GUI needs to be linked to the plugin in some way, but I
>

> why ? the GUI sends control messages to the host, and all it needs is
> a way to identify the plugin, not to communicate with it.
>
>> I was imagining that the plugin would only invoke the gui if/when the host
>> requested it, or mauybe the plugin should just broive the host with a
>> method or data required to open the custom interface.
>

> this brings up a good point. a plugin that was running under a
> console-only host and has a Qt plugin should probably be advised to
> not bother starting the GUI process. how best to do that ? do we have
> the host pro-actively initiate the GUI (allowing it to choose not to
> do so), or do we have the host tell the plugin that the run-time
> environment is <console|xwindows|something-else> ?
>
> --p

In my opinion the plugin should not be bothered with any information
wheter it has a GUI or not. This decision is entirely up to the host.
Since the GUI will pass information too an fro the plugin through
standard LADSPA-ports. It is really no difference to the plugin wheter
it is sending this information to the GUI or if it is a generated
presentation which the host has constructed.

If the plugin HAS to know if there is a GUI attached it should be quite
possible to send a specific value to one of the controlports. If the
plugin receives this value on this port it knows it's own GUI is available.
This brings me to a related matter, can you send values to ports which
hasn't been exported by LADSPA? I was thinking the GUI could send
controldata on a "hidden" controlport. Which is not exported by the
plugin but available internally. But I guess it will be a simple NULL
pointer call....

/Robert