Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - main components

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - main components
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 01:39:17 EEST

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> With in-process clients, what do we do about GUI's? If I understand
> your suggestions and Kai's correctly, that would be down to the client
> in question: how it and its GUI communicated would be a private
> affair. Did I understand this correctly?

Yup. This is specifically the reason why LAAGA might just make sense. ;)
Implementing a LAAGA client will require much more work than writing an
ALSA/aRts/CSL/OSS app, because you have to create a custom
process<->process communication system between the plugin and your lower
priority process (GUI in most cases). But you get the ability to use the
optimal IPC solution tailored for your app. And of course, this design
allows to have multiple LAAGA clients running at the same time, each with
their own GUI, and with optimal IPC between the main server and each GUIs.

Ok, now I'd really like to hear comments from people who write
"client-side" audio apps. Possible LAAGA clients are at least TerminatorX
(Alexander?), Tapiir (Maarten?) and Quasimodo. Anything else? The key hear
is user-interaction (-> low-latency as a requirement).

Another set of possible clients to consider are the various
audio-producing sequencers (SoundTracker, Octal), and then audio players
(Alsaplayer, XMMS). But I think these app types either benefit less from
LAAGA, or are much more difficult to turn into a plugin.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!