Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Toward a modularization of audio component

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Toward a modularization of audio component
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 15:44:02 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> The point of LADSPA was to be able to share audio programming efforts
> on the DSP level. It doesn't use an ALSA-like API at all. The point of
> LAAGA is to be able to share programming efforts and have them
> interact at a somewhat higher level. You seem to feel that the ALSA
> PCM API, or a somewhat modified version of it, is an appropriate model
> with which to do that. I think that a much simpler API is possible,
> and more appropriate, and I think we have some good examples of the
> kind of API I mean already.

The point is that I don't want *another* API, I think that to have *only
one* API is the true strength of the proposal.

LAAGA on LADSPA on CSL on ARTS on OSS? No thanks. (the example is
arbitrary)

I'm proposing a variation of the good old principle "Everything is a
file": a general purpose honest API for audio stream transfer/control.

But it seems that design is postponed to implementation and that to have
a versatile API is worse that to have a limited API...

What I've to say... I'm definitely not in sync with this way of
thinking.

I can emulate a limited API with a wider one, but try to do the
opposite...

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!