Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Toward a modularizationofaudio component

Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Toward a modularizationofaudio component
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 10:49:54 EEST

Karl MacMillan wrote:

> One of the design decisions of LADSPA and the proposed LAAGA is that all
> audio data will be floating point. This is not a limitation of the api
> but a good design decision. You have described conversion between formats
> as having no cost in the past - this is not true.

??? One of us must be drunk that day. Are you abstemious? ;-))))

This is obviously not true, conversion costs. What I'm saying is that
it's not needed.

An audio component may treat only *one* format, nothing force it to
handle all.

> What drawbacks to you see to multiple api layers?

- the need to write different input module (in every application) if I
want to read from a file, a PCM capture stream, an FX that read from a
PCM capture stream, the output from an arbitrary other audio component.
- simmetric with output
- less standardization of audio components
- less flexybility (you can't have arbitrary links, it's like to have
tools in your sound studio that use different connectors)
- more complex full API for developers (as they need to understand/learn
several)

> What are the chances that the kernel developers will accept the alsa lib
> (which is stated to be necessary to the alsa kernel api) if it contains a
> complex application framework?

The discussion is completely orthogonal to this: alsa-lib is fully
modular and this might be a different shared object (in my mind
*several* different shared object). I'm advocating an API not a bloated
alsa-lib.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!