Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - how are we doing ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - how are we doing ?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 16:43:26 EEST

Good to see so much to catch up on after a weekend away :)

>Like I said on one of my early LAAGA posts, I'd like to avoid talking
>about channels, busses or plugin networks when it comes to LAAGA. A LAAGA
>client requests for a set of audio channels or ports, and gets a set of
>integer ids from the server. When plugin then wants to access
>(read/write) the actual audio buffer, it uses the
>write_to_channel/read_from_channel callbacks provided by the server, and
>gives the assigned channel identifier as an argument to these
>functions.

Precisely my understanding and intent.

>Paul already suggested to extend this design by allowing clients for
>getting 'available_channels() type information from the server. But I'm
>still not sure if this is needed. I'd like to concentrate on just passing
>the data.

We need it just as "static" counts, so that the UI for the
server-plugin can present a useful set of choices to the user.

>In my desing, it's up to the server to care about which buffers are
>assigned to plugins, whether multiple plugins are assigned to same
>channels, whether input and output buffers are physically the same
>(=inplace), etc, etc ... The LAAGA API definition does not even mention
>these things.

Totally agreed. No server plugin/client ever "owns" a channel. They
merely have to request the use of them, use them, and then, if they
wish to be well-behaved, release them if they are done with them. If
the LAAGA server wishes to do more internally, thats fine, but its not
part of the API at all.

--p