[linux-audio-dev] Re: laaga, round 2

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: laaga, round 2
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 20:04:47 EEST

Hi,

> and works remarkably well --> AES&Ardour!!! Ie. the one-thread-only
> approach _works_. So until other mechanisms are proven to work this well,
> one-threaded model is the one I'm interested in.

If you're wondering wether a multithreaded approach works, I can offer
glame as an object to study. Every plugin in glame runs in his own thread,
even ladspa plugins. With this approach it's even possible to have a
feedback mechanism within networks without the need to do some prerouting
by a master. O.K. the feedback is delayed by the buffersize, but still
you can do nice effects with it. Ok, as I understand you want some server
where applications can actually connect to and that's a way different
approach as long as I can't convince everyone to write his application
as glame-plugin(s).

I have once tested artsd and I was quite dissapointed. I started artsd,
one visualization plugin (this thingie with all the light bumps for fft,
dunno exactly) and then just played a wavfile. At first the whole wav was
copied into the memory of artsd or wherever and then what happened
afterwards was all but performant. I don't think that a Celeron 300Mhz
with 128MB Ram is underpowered for playing a wavfile :)

Is Laaga actually intended for realtime? I doubt that you get low latency
with such a server. For non realtime stuff it's probably quite
interesting.

Cheers, Alex

--

So so is good, very good, very excellent good: and yet it is not; it is but so so. -- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"