[linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: laaga, round 2

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: laaga, round 2
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 19:36:04 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
> > -- Henry Spencer
>
> yup. no question of that. thats why we have:
>
> man semop
> man shmget
> man poll/select
> man read/write
> man open
>
> all of which present totally different API's for working with
> OS-controlled objects and resources that are fundamentally "just data
> streams". did i bother to mention the SysV stream interface ? sorry.
>
> what lesson shall we learn from this aspect of Unix?

ehm, I think there is some misunderstanding... morning perspicacity is
over ;-)))

I meant as that this need to be paraphrased as "Those who do not
understand Steinberg's approach are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
and I've said that we cannot avoid this if we fail to interpret the
reasons of their choice.

Neverthless we can't behave as if we've understood them.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!