Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: laaga, round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: laaga, round 2
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 22:35:45 EEST

Abramo wrote:
> "Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
> -- Henry Spencer

Yes, and the validy of that statement as been proven several times in
practice within the computer industry! However, consider:

        Those who do not understand Cubase are condemned to reinvent it.

I think it is vitally important that we recognize that Steinberg hasn't
become more and more stupid because they've been developing Cubase for
15 years! Quite to the contrary, is is important to understand that they
are intelligent people who have worked to create solutions, and that they
have learned a lot from their experience - including their early mistakes.

We need consider that their designs of VST and ASIO must
have some merit, and consider what those merits are.

If we are going to build something better, then at first we need to
answer the question "better than what?".

- Jay Ts