Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga, round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga, round 2
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 22:51:16 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> I've tried to be as fair as I can in presenting these summaries. What
> do you think?

Paul, first of all, thanks very much for writing up your summary! Like
others reading this list, I'd gotten more than a little lost in the
discussion, and it was to the point of not really having a handle on
what people have been writing.

During this time, I've been thinking, when they first started developing
internet protocols, maybe the development groups went through similar
confusion until someone came up with the idea of RFCs (?) In any case,
I think that a similar process would be hugely beneficial to all of us -
that way anyone would be able to post their own ideas, including proposed
APIs, white papers (even poetry :) in a more formalized (that is, more
clearly thought out and expressed) way, all put into one focused document.
And then others could go to the source and "tune in" or "catch up" with
the discussion.

I'm sure (or am I? :) there are documents like this, or at least along
similar lines, on LADSPA, ALSA and others, but I'd like to see them
done in a "white paper" or RFC sort of way, so I can access them in
a group and search and read through them. For example, it was a pleasure
for me to read Steinberg's documents on ASIO and VST 2.0. Once I downloaded
them, it just took me a few minutes to understand the fundamentals of VST
and be able to think about it in an intelligent manner.

Let me know - is this a dumb idea, or should I write up an RFC on it? :-)

- Jay Ts