Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga, round 2

Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga, round 2
From: eli+@gs211.sp.cs.cmu.edu
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 00:53:15 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:
> The user says "I want to connect the input of this internal object to
> internal bus #5".

As to the UI: I as a user don't want to have to carry around this
magic number 5 in my head. I just want to say "connect the input to
the left output of that panner". I want to build a signal-flow graph,
with support for both fan-in to inputs and fan-out from outputs.

But what I really want to say is that the UI model *doesn't matter* at
this stage. I can build that signal-flow model on top of your bus
system. Just because I don't like magic numbers for my UI doesn't
mean you shouldn't go out and build your engine.

One-to-one: A.out to B.in.
Allocate a bus X. A.out writes to X; B.in reads from X.

Fan-out: A.out to B.in and C.in.
Allocate a bus X. A.out to X; B.in from X; C.in from X.

Fan-in: (A.out + B.out) to C.in.
Allocate a bus X. A.out to X; B.out to X; C.in from X.

Many-to-many: my layer doesn't have explicit support for this. Use a
"passthrough" ugen.

I can hide the bus IDs, and the very existence of buses, from the user.

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+@cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/