Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: high level laaga

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: high level laaga
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 22:56:17 EEST

>The result is that the multi process version takes 2.58s to process 10240
>256 byte chunks and the single threaded one takes 3.64s!
>(this is on a lightly loaded dual PIII 866/133 512meg CL2 machine) not
>ideal test conditions, but I figured it didn't really matter.
>
>I was expecting the multi process one to be a bit slower, so that came as
>quite a supprise. I suppose the extra speed might be due to utilisation of
>the caches of both processors, also there might be a bug, but the code
>gets executed the right number of times, and the single threaded code is very
>simple. I tried knobling the multi process code, by wrapping the signal
>handler, but it made next to no difference.

I suggest you run xosview while doing your test. The "mp" version
causes processor load to rise to 80-100% on *both* processors on my
machine, while the "sp" version only runs on one processor. No wonder
its quicker. I'll take a look at the code and see if I can understand
how you ended up with parallel execution.

--p