Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: high level laaga

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: high level laaga
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 23:56:24 EEST

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 08:22:51PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> I'l try it on my single processor machine at home and see what difference
> that makes.

It seems to be just as fast on a uniprocessor machine, which implies that
I've made a mistake in the code. I'l have a look at it tomorrow.

Another thing though is that, under linux, dynamicaly loaded code has to be
compiled PIC, which is (or was) a fairly serious performance hit.

With a single thread LAAGA system, most of the code is going to be running
PIC (unless we can find a way round it) which may be a large penalty.

I've wondered if its possible to tweak LADSPA code so that its compiled
position dependant and relocated on loading (what windows does IIRC), but
I don't know enough about ELF to even know if its possible.

- Steve