Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: high level laaga

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: high level laaga
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 14:26:33 EEST

OK, I've been tearing my hair out all morning over this stupid sp vs mp
thing. I've unified the code so that the sp version is doing exactly the
same work as the mp version. mp is still faster until you reduce the
effort per chunk to virtually nil, when the cost of the context switch
takes over. Changing the amount of optimisation doesn't help either.

The only difference I can see is that when the mp code is running most of
the cpu time is marked as "system" in my load meter, is signal'd code run
in a higher priority or something?

The only other thing I considered is that the cost of context switching a
larger process is disproportionately high, but I tried making the sp process
smaller by removing all but one of the processing functions and it didn't
make enough difference to explain it.

Argh!

- Steve