Re: [linux-audio-dev] Performance and Elegance? (Was: High Cost of

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Performance and Elegance? (Was: High Cost of
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 14:41:58 EEST

Rob Melby wrote:

> main memory will always be slower than registers.

Yes, I expect so. I was only pointing out that there is nothing
about basic memory technology (the transisitors themselves, and the
memory circuits made from them) that is so much slower (like, 10x
slower) than CPU speeds. So it is possible to make RAM that is
significantly faster than PC133 memory that is now common.

> IPC is a bad way to go compared to in-process methods for a number of
> reasons.

If we have to pick betwen the two, then I surely agree. For performance
reasons, anyway. For other reasons, IPC may be better, although the
absolute need for low latency may make that a dead issue. Or maybe not ...
I don't think we've touched on all the important factors regarding
this yet.

- Jay Ts
jayts_AT_bigfoot.com