Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 05:55:37 EEST

> Large smp configurations are tricky to program in situations where
> your architecture is not geared for it. If LAAGA was designed around
> using separate processes/threads per audio component then the
> parallelism would evolve naturally - you have 4 soft-synths running?
> then you will automatically use 4 CPUs (if you've got them).

It is certainly true that having an (software) architecture that is geared
towards parallelism will help, but none of the LAAGA designs that have
been proposed so far fall into this category. Multiple processes/threads
does not automatically allow the plugins to run in parallel - data
dependencies are a big problem, but there are many others. I think that
this argument is not sufficient to adopt a multiple process/thread design.

Again, I suggest that an API be choosen that will allow any of these
approaches. I can think of no reason that a LADSPA like api + the two
changes suggested by Paul and Jim could not be used in a single thread,
multiple thread, or multiple process server implementation. Am I missing
something?

Karl

> Scott

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Computer Music Department |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac |