Re: [linux-audio-dev] Performance and Elegance? (Was: High Cost of IPC)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Performance and Elegance? (Was: High Cost of IPC)
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent_AT_ulyssis.org)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 09:59:02 EEST

Jay Ts wrote:

>>[cut]
>>
>I think it is bad enough having to get everyone to switch from
>the OSS drivers to ALSA. I feel it would be better to avoid that
>sort of difficulty by thinking out the design better at the start,

We could also be very formal about when we would release our very first
version of the API ?
We could testdrive wat we wrote _a lot_ considering that a lot of
persons who are on this list have their own audio app to "play" with,
and only when we are sure about ourselves we could officially release it.

Maybe the problem with having to switch a lot of people lies only in the
fact that the API would have been 'released' too early.
Meaning of course not that the API wouldn't be avaliable the whole time,
just that it would not yet have our recommendation.
If we are very clear about that, things can go rather smoothly I guess.

Now that doesn't imply that I'm for braindead coding ;-)
I'm just for coding altogether: just test the damn stuff (which we are
to some extent already doing).
Thinking is one part, coding another and releasing yet another ...

Regards

-vincent