Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 14:00:52 EEST

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:58:29PM -0700, Jay Ts wrote:
> Now, if we allow the plugin architecture to be more generalized and
> work through IPC, then two audio applications (such as a software
> synthesizer and an audio multitrack recorder) can work cooperatively,
> streaming data and control signals between them. I haven't checked
> into the spec, but I believe this would be analogous to mLan that
> is being developed and implemented for hardware synths. (Which means
> we should support it on Linux at some point, too!)

This isn't what mLAN is.

There is no reason why two apps run in the same process can't communicate
just as it they were in different processes (well you might have to bear
it in mind, but it certainly not hard).

The only thing I can think of off hand that is significantly easier to do
in the multiprocess model is run the GUI (c.f. all the discussions on
running multiple X conncetions from one binary), but I expect Paul has
thought of a way to do this allready.

- Steve