Re: [linux-audio-dev] aes: new model

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] aes: new model
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 13:25:37 EEST

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 02:08:05PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> Note that a Driver is a kind of Plugin. So, the Engine builds a signal
> graph for the current interconnections between all the ports, and
> executes all Plugins (including both the Driver and regular Plugins)
> in the "correct" order (if such a thing exists).

Sorry, I think I missed something, what is the significance of a Driver?
Are they responsible for doing the i/o?

Speaking of which, what do people think of having MIDI as a 1st class
thing (stream, events, whatever), as audio is?

> i don't yet know whether the use of all-engine-provided-buffers and no
> direct writing to DMA areas will be more or less efficient than the
> old AES design that used write_to_channel etc. but i am convinced that
> this design is more correct and more flexible than the old one. It may
> be faster to. we'll see.

Agreed, it seems much better.

> The engine no longer supports busses directly. Busses would be
> supported by a specific plugin, whose job was simply to declare N
> inputs and N outputs, and to run a process() function that did
> basically nothing. There's work to do on the details of this, but the
> idea has great appeal for me, and may help settle the argument over
> patchbay/bus designs.

Sounds good. How is the routing going to be specified? Or is that an
implementation detail ;)

- Steve