Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 15:11:37 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

> N.B. My objections are largely due to the fact that I can't figure out
> what's going on from looking at the header file, which I think is a bad
> sign. That said there is no documentation in it.

This is a very good argument.

I introduce the model with a metaphor.

The top level object is the "soundbox": imagine it like a complex
mechanical box.

You know nothing about its internal gears.

Some gears exit from the box: let's call it "ports". All external gears
are somewhat correlated: if one moves *all* the others moves.

Inside the soundbox you may have other soundbox jointed using gears.

Now suppose that the same thick gear is linked to two thinner ones, then
you've the motion passed to two gears. Let's call the motion "flow".

Other things exit from this mechanical box: connectors for control
"panel". A panel is composed of switch, leds, lever, etc. ("controls").

Some boxes are time related (i.e. they contains an engine), this means
that it's possible to have forcing situation (let's call it xrun) where
a moving gear is unable to move a linked one.

The application ask and enjoy the motion of the gears.

                        Abramo "Menenius Agrippa" Bagnara

P.S. I'd like you're willing to make me more questions, giving me the
possibility to explain further.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!