Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 09:23:13 EEST

Karl MacMillan wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2001, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 12:37:29PM +0200, Abramo Bagnara wrote:
> > > About "easier to work" I think that developers would like to have a
> > > single API to learn/understand. I'd think in the same way...
> >
> > I (personally) prefer simpler APIs, the LADSPA API is a good example.
> >

> I agree - this api has a lot of added complexity that many on this list
> have expressed a desire to remove (single sample format being the most
> important aspect in my mind).

In a recent posting it has clearly acknowledged that to have *only*
float data is a flaw of LADSPA design.

http://eca.cx/lad/2001/May/0294.html

To have a property for sample format does not imply that every plugin
need to implement it.

query_property is there to permit to know that (as an example) this
specific plugin can handle only float data.

We can deduce that also from set_property failure.

Please don't confuse flexybility with complexity.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!