Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 17:21:22 EEST

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Abramo Bagnara wrote:

> Karl MacMillan wrote:

> > > I (personally) prefer simpler APIs, the LADSPA API is a good example.
> > >

> > I agree - this api has a lot of added complexity that many on this list
> > have expressed a desire to remove (single sample format being the most
> > important aspect in my mind).
>
> In a recent posting it has clearly acknowledged that to have *only*
> float data is a flaw of LADSPA design.
>
> http://eca.cx/lad/2001/May/0294.html

You have misread this message. This was referring to control data while I
was referring to sample data. I think most people are in agreement that
supporting more than one type of sample data is a very bad idea.

> To have a property for sample format does not imply that every plugin
> need to implement it.
>
> query_property is there to permit to know that (as an example) this
> specific plugin can handle only float data.
>
> We can deduce that also from set_property failure.
>
> Please don't confuse flexybility with complexity.

We seem to continually have this argument. Complexity is not flexibility
when it provides no real benefits. Multiple sample formats _between_
components provides no benefits for users or programmers.

Karl

> --
> Abramo Bagnara mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org
>
> Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023
> Via Emilia Interna, 140
> 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy
>
> ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org
> It sounds good!

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Computer Music Department |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac |