Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 20:08:50 EEST

> > > A port is a port is a port.
> > >

> > This is clearly not true - there is a big difference between a port that
> > accepts a single float value occasionally to change a parameter, a port
> > that accepts a midi stream, and a port that accepts a large number of
> > samples.
>
> But, note what... you've called them always "port".

What I call them is not important - what is important is that they are
different concepts. Some work on streams and some do not - this is an
important difference that cannot be easily abstracted.

[ discussion about single/multiple sample formats]

All of this has been debated over and over again. I disagree with you,
but see no way to convince you. Perhaps other people will comment at this
point.

Karl

> --
> Abramo Bagnara mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org
>
> Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023
> Via Emilia Interna, 140
> 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy
>
> ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org
> It sounds good!

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Computer Music Department |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac |