Re: [linux-audio-dev] SoundBOX API revised and commented

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SoundBOX API revised and commented
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 20:22:17 EEST

> > What does commit do? I am sorry, but I still don't understand this api.
>
> It's a way to communicate to soundbox that we have completed read/write.
> Soundbox will make the appropriate actions. I've stolen this term from
> ALSA (that in turn have stolen it from SQL jargon).

From your example it appears that two things happen:

 - a flow waits for data until . . .
 - it is committed

What is not clear is:

 - who commits the data (server or plugin)
 - who creates ('owns') the data buffers
 - how are data dependencies resolved

Here is an example:

-------
| A |
-------
 | |
-------
| B |
-------

These two soundboxes have two audio ports with two flows connecting them.
Can you give psuedo code that would show exactly how a block of samples is
processed? I am getting the feeling that you did not read the long
conversation that Paul and I had about signal flow graph models and bus
models.

> > Can you describe the components - possibly with comparison to components
> > in the other apis described.
>
> I don't understand what you mean with "components". In past we have
> called "audio component" what I now call with a more poetic term
> "soundbox".

Components = port, soundbox, flow, control, panel, etc, etc

Karl

> --
> Abramo Bagnara mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org
>
> Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023
> Via Emilia Interna, 140
> 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy
>
> ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org
> It sounds good!

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Computer Music Department |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac |