Re: [linux-audio-dev] SoundBOX API revised and commented

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SoundBOX API revised and commented
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 22:49:28 EEST

Karl MacMillan wrote:

> >From your example it appears that two things happen:
>
> - a flow waits for data until . . .
> - it is committed
>
> What is not clear is:
>
> - who commits the data (server or plugin)
> - who creates ('owns') the data buffers
> - how are data dependencies resolved

I think there is some big misunderstanding: soundbox API is an
application API.

soundbox *implementation* would use soundbox API for talk with internal
(nested) soundboxes, *and* a whole different set of helper functions to
do soundbox connections and other stuff needed for internal
implementation.

I've written that this a view from the opposite edge of LADSPA (or even
LAAGA, if I was sure to understand exactly what it is ;-)

I wanted to focus on an external API suitable for talking with hardware,
plugins, complex audio components, control panel, visual scopes, etc.
taking in consideration all needs (multi threading/processing, parallel,
N/M connection, lowest memory footprint, etc.)

Immediately after some agreement on the external side we can write down
the internal side design of soundboxes.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!