Re: [linux-audio-dev] a port/buffer proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a port/buffer proposal
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 20:55:32 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >> Assumptions
> >> -----------
> >> In this model, a Port is an object representing audio input or
> >> output. For any given port, there is a method of determining the
> >> address of a memory region where the data associated with the port can
> >> be read from or written to. All writing occurs via standard C operators
> >> such as "=" or "+=".
> >
> >I need some clarification:
> >
> >Relation port - channels is 1:1 or 1:N?
> >If 1:N is your choice: N may be changed dynamically?
>
> Well, on the level I'm discussing today, we don't actually
> care. However, at other levels of the API, my worldview says:
>
> A Port represents a single channel of audio data available for either
> input or output.

This means that a plugin that have N (variable) channels as input and 1
channels as output cannot exist?

> And please remember that we discussed all the issues surrounding
> multichannel ports when we discussed LADSPA a year ago. Unless there
> is a genuinely new point of view on this, I consider that issue fully
> resolved.

You've some kind of attitude to intimidation, do you know? ;-)

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!